- Coronavirus Small Business Resource Hub by SCORE National
- Los Angeles Chapter's Resources for COVID-19 (Last Update 4/7/2020)
SCORE Articles: Financing Business
- How Do Entrepreneurs Finance Their Startups?
- Startup Financing Basics: Debt vs. Equity
- Angel Investors and Venture Capitalists Explained in Simple Terms
- Is a Business Incubator Right for You?
- Does Your Small Business Need an Angel?
- The Pros & Cons of a Business Line of Credit
- Do You Know How Steve Jobs Financed His Startup Called Apple?
- Should you consider Shark Tank?
- SCORE Business Debt Relief Guide: How to Pay Business Debts You Can’t Afford
- SCORE Visa Financial Management Workbook: Manage Your Business Finances Better
- Securing Capital to Grow Your Business - Summary notes – SCORE National’s “Workshop in a Box” on Funding
- How to Get Early Stage Funding 9-15-15 – Article by Camino Financial
Small Business Administration (SBA) Funding Programs
SBA Funding Programs
- SBA Loan Programs (7a), 504, and SBA Express
- The SBA International Trade Loan Program- SBA Export Loan Programs – 06.12.14
- SBIR (Small Business Innovation Research) and STTR (Small Business Technology Transfer)
- Small Business Investment Company (SBIC) Directory by SBA
- The SBA Lender Match - The SBA Lender Match connects entrepreneurs with SBA Approved lenders. Once an applicant fills out the questionnarie, SBA Lenders contact him/her within 48 hours if there is a match.
- L.A. County Community Development Commission/Housing Authority Small Business Programs
SBA Los Angeles District Office Resource Guide -- Please refer to the SBA Resource Guide for more information about the SBA's funding programs. You can also obtain a hard copy at the SBA office--Make sure you call the office beforehand. The resource guide also includes a list of Credit Unions that carry SBA Financing programs.
Federal & State Government Funding Programs
- USA Gov Finance Your Business - USA Gov Finance Your Business provides information on federal-level financing programs to assist small businesses.
- GovLoans.gov - Helps individuals looking for government loans. It directs you to the loan information that best meets your needs.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) - Provides a full listing of all Federal programs available to State and local governments (including the District of Columbia); federally-recognized Indian tribal governments; Territories of the United States; domestic public, quasi- public, and private profit and nonprofit organizations and institutions; specialized groups; and individuals.
- Money Publications by U.S. Government Bookstore - It's free information.
- Understand Your Credit Report
- Understand Your Credit Score
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
- Freshbooks: Breaking the Time Barrier (ebook)
- Chobani: Growing a Start Up without Outside Investors - Oct 2013
- Buffer: Idea to Paying Customers in 7 Weeks: How We Did It
"A business loan gives you a lump-sum based on what you think you need for your business. It's rarely precisely the right amount." - Brian Smith
List of Lenders:
- List of Microlenders in Los Angeles (Last Update 2019)
- Best Alternative Small Business Loans 2019
- List of Online Lenders (Last Update 2019)
- List of Cash Advance Programs (Last Update 2019)
- Bank Loan Requirements - Bank criteria for lending to existing and start-up businesses
- Financing a Company of Any Size-- Helps you find the right business loan for your business: Loan Type and Requirements
- Why was my loan application denied?
- Understand Your Business Credit and Get Access to Cheaper Capital 7-25-14 – Article from the Camino Financial, an online lender specializing in the Hispanic community
- Myth or Truth?: I Cannot Get Credit if I Have Only a Tax ID 6-26-15 – Article from the Camino Financial
- Think You Don’t Need Business Credit? Think Again – Article from the Camino Financial
- How to Prepare Your Business for a Bank Loan – Video from the Camino Financial
- Small Business Loan Guide – 2014-01 - a guide from the Pan American Bank
Double Dipping--If you are considering more than a one-time loan, you may want to learn more about double dipping. Learning about the concept may help you reduce your financing cost.
- Double Dipping Explained
- Double Dipping: The Hidden Cost of a Merchant Cash Advance
- 5 Ways to Avoid Paying Too Much on a Business Loan
*Advice on learning about crowdfunding: “Focus less on individual articles in favor of the crowdfunding guides put together by crowdfunding platforms like Kickstarter and Indiegogo, which they regularly update to reflect the recent changes. Crowdfunding environment is constantly changing and many of the single articles out there become out of date as soon as they are published." Kathleen Minogue, Crowdfunding Consultant at Crowdfund Better
- Crowdfunding Cheat Sheet
- SBA Workshop Notes (Apr 2015)--Crowdfunding: an alternative financing approach
- Kickstarter Creator Handbook
- Indiegogo Education Center
- Fundable Crowdfunding Guide
- CrowdCrux - A blog specialized in covering crowdfunding landscape.
- Many Crowdfunding Consultants Come Up Short- The Tail Lights Company mentioned in the article is a client of SCORE Los Angeles
Small Business Investment Company (SBIC) by SBA
Angel Investor Group and Directory
- Tech Coast Angels
- Pasadena Angels
- Angel List Los Angeles
- Angel Capital Association
- Angel Investor Meetup Group
Tech Startup Consulting in Los Angeles
Startup Accelerators and Incubators
- List of Business Incubators and Accelerators in Los Angeles
- Seed Accelerator Rankings Project
- InBIA - Provides a directory for business incubators. Contains in-depth information about incubators, accelerators and co-working spaces
- LinkedIn’s Series B Pitch to Greylock--Pitch Advice for Entrepreneurs
- What I Wish I Knew Before Pitching LinkedIn to VCs
- The Pitch Deck We Used To Raise $500,000 For Our Startup
- How should one seek angel investment for a startup?
Dave Berkus Insights
- The best advice startups will never follow
- Does your business need money? Read this!
- Find your champion.
- Stay in touch with your investors
- Could you answer these tough investor questions?
- And don’t forget creative fund raising.
- Can you finance your company with grants?
- Model Legal Documents - Templates offered by National Venture Capital Association for venture capital financing documents.
Blog and Outside Resources
- Platforms and Networks - Insights and Resources for Tech Entrepreneurs
- Both Sides of the Table
- Y Combinator Startup Library
*Advice for those who are seriously considering applying for Shark Tank: "Watch and study businesses featured on Shark Tank, read articles related to the topic, and most importantly, read the Shark Tank application carefully." - Keith Marz, founder and owner of the Marz Sprays, who successfully raised capital from the Shark Tank.
- Should You Consider Shark Tank?
- How I Got My Startup on 'Shark Tank' in 7 Steps
- 8 Most Successful Products From Shark Tank
- How to Get a Deal With Every Investor on 'Shark Tank,' According to Daymond John
- Shark Tank Products
Business Grants/Government Grants
- Government Grants and Loans
- The Definitive Guide to Government Grants - eBook
- The Difference Between STTR and SBIR (SBA Programs)
- Going local: A step-by-step guide to uncovering local business grant opportunities
- BusinessGrants.org - Although much of information listed here are somewhat outdated, it’s great place to build initial knowledgebase about business grants
List of Business Grant Programs
- GRANTS.GOV - Government Grant Program Directory
- List of Grant Programs--includes business contest
- Small Business Grants: 107 Ways to Get Free Money for Your Business (Last Update 2020)
Buying a Business
Valuing a Business
- How to Finance an Acquisition - General education on how to buy a business
- Private Company Valuation - An easy-to-read educational article on how to value a private business. If you are looking to purchase a business and know little about finance and accounting, this is article may help you understand the process better.
- Valuation Resources - A free online guide to business valuation resources, industry information, economic data, and more. Designed as a comprehensive reference guide for business appraisers.
- American Society of Appraisers - American Society of Appraisers provides various educational materials on valuing a business. The website also provides access to a directory of business appraisers.