Increasing your online visibility should definitely be one of your company’s top goals at all times. It is the best way to reach new potential customers and share your vision with the rest of the world.
But you need to have an active approach. This is not a “build it, and they will come” scenario. You need to create and promote. Putting up a website is your foundation, but it’s also just the tip of the iceberg. There are lots of other things you can and should be doing as well.
Produce Engaging Content
Content marketing is a well-established technique for increasing your visibility and a good way of approaching it is to go through these three basic steps:
- Define a question in your line of work that needs to be answered - Work out how you can provide the answer or contribute to the topic - Find the most engaging way to present the problem, along with your solution
If you’re running a small business with a fairly limited amount of resources, you can do wonders with investing time instead of money.
Most popular ways of producing content are:
- Blogging. You can easily incorporate blogs to your website to boost traffic, but there is a great benefit from writing guest posts as well. Find out more about how to get started with small business blogging, here!
- Podcasting. This is an incredible way to do networking. By having people come on your show, and also being a guest on other people’s podcasts, you’ll not only promote your brand but also make relevant industry connections.
- Making Videos. Videos are great for communicating details about your company and your products or services. You can provide insight into your company culture, values, processes, or present fresh ideas and updates.
- Posting on Social Media. This is the part that connects everything together because you’ll be using it to promote all of your other content. It’s also a straightforward way of communicating with your potential clients and business associates. The most important thing is to find the right social media platform for your business and make sure this is the place where your target audience hangs out.
In order to get the most out of your content, you need to apply SEO throughout all phases of production. SEO has become a standard, and it is proven to be helpful in more ways than one. It will directly affect your online visibility and, in the long run, help you better position your brand against the competition.
Build a Community Around Your Brand
This is what we’ve been playing for. If you were able to produce a solid base of quality content, which was polished up by SEO and promoted through relevant social media, things should be turning up.
It’s very important to determine a way to measure your online visibility so that you can evaluate the effects of your efforts. It can be your website traffic, Google Analytics metrics, or it can be the number of followers you get on social media. You need to decide which of these indicators are most relevant to your brand and try to develop a strategy to improve them further.
Once you are able to acquire a sizable gathering, you should take some time to interact with your audience, and recognize their needs. You can use the information you get to adapt future marketing material and pick even more relevant subjects to talk or write about.
The whole point of improved visibility is to access a new, relevant, and engaged portion of your target audience. These are the people who will ultimately help you increase your revenue, both directly, through purchasing your products or services, or indirectly, by giving your brand the much-needed, always-appreciated seal of approval.
Mark Thomasson is a biz-dev hero at Invoicebus